10 Jun 2015
Yellow Fever certificate requirementsUpdated yellow fever certificate requirements and recommendations
Updated: Risk areas and recommendation for vaccination
Risk areas have been revised for some countries. Please refer to the WHO for specific information about countries with risk.
- Democratic Republic of Congo is now designated as having risk throughout the country.
- Rwanda has been designated as a country with low potential for yellow fever virus exposure; where yellow fever vaccination would not usually be recommended for personal protection.
- A revised map showing Yellow Fever Vaccination Recommendations in Africa, 2015 is available from WHO (check individual country listing or specific information).
- The map showing Yellow Fever Vaccination Recommendations in the Americas, 2013 remains current (check individual country listing or specific information).
Updated: Requirement for yellow fever certificates
Individual country requirements for an International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (ICVP – Yellow Fever Certificate) are usually updated annually.
Revised requirements are provided by some countries for 2015; others remain unchanged and some countries have not made a statement on their requirement at this time.
Updated: Validity of yellow fever vaccine certificates
Individual countries may or may not have declared their position regarding validity of YF vaccine certificates.
- NaTHNaC advises that where a YF certificate is issued for the first time, the period of validity should be written as 10 years.
- NaTHNaC advises that where a YF certificate issued more than 10 years ago exists, no amendment should be made to the period of validity written in that certificate (10 years); it is presumed countries who state the validity of YF certificate to be ‘lifelong’, will accept certificates issued more than ten years ago.
NaTHNaC will update the Country Information pages, however, in the interim, health professionals undertaking a risk assessment for YF disease and when considering YF certificate requirements should refer to:
- WHO updated list of yellow fever vaccine certificate requirements and recommendations.
- WHO revised summary list of countries with a risk of yellow fever
- Yellow Fever Vaccination Recommendations in Africa, 2015
- Yellow Fever Vaccination Recommendations in the Americas, 2013